I am on a mission to support moms so that they can raise a happy family and create a lasting impact on a foster child’s life. I want to bring positive awareness about foster care & support foster parents, with the ultimate mission to make sure kids are able to grow up in capable families all over the world (instead of orphanages or group homes).
How am I doing this?
- I am blogging and sharing on social media about being a foster parent and raising a happy family.
- I am creating & selling products in the shop
- 10% of each sale goes to worldwide causes that stop orphanages and implement foster care in developing countries (Hope and Homes for Children and Friends-International)
- I am bringing together foster parents from around the world in a global online community to share knowledge, perspectives and support one another. (COMING SOON!)
- I offer support, advise and encouragement to foster parents, and people who are considering becoming a foster parent.
I am Marieke Hensel, I am born in The Netherlands, and live in Los Angeles, California since 2007 with my family.
I am a mother to 3+ kids: 2 bio kids (13yo, 11yo), 1 adopted (12yo), and currently 1 foster child. We have sometimes up to 6 kids in our house, and sometimes our house is back to ‘just’ 3 kids.
I always knew I wanted to adopt. We were blessed to have my nephew in 2004 join our family, who lived in a foster family in The Netherlands and eventually adopted him in 2009.
In January 2010 we became licensed foster parents in California, and we have fostered 18 kids in our house thus far, ranging from a 1 day stay to 8 months, from newborns to 11 year olds.
In 2014 we took a break after we lost a baby, and we moved to live and work in Cambodia. I loved everything about living & working in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
Siem Reap’s number of orphanages are growing, while its number of orphans are decreasing. And it made me aware of how western people are enabling orphanages to exist in third world countries, resulting in kids growing up in orphanages who would be better off in their own family or in foster families.
I hope to raise awareness for foster care and make change happen for kids growing up in orphanages. I love to coach foster parents who just got started to be that support system, that trusted person they can call.
Every child has the right for a stable family!